Tuesday, December 28, 2010

French 75: A Cocktail for New Year's

Everybody knows I like martinis, a lot, but I also like gin cocktails - note my versatility! ;) The French 75 is a fantastic cocktail for anytime of the year, it's that good, but I think it's a really great cocktail for New Year's. Why? Well, it uses Champagne, is delicious, is easy to make, is a classic, and it packs a serious punch - which is how it earned the name "The French 75". Concocted during WWI, its wallop reminded bar patrons of the French 75 mm artillery gun. It's just the sort of drink I want my guests holding when the ball drops!

Like all cocktails, there are a lot of recipes. The one I like to make is the first recorded recipe and the one found in the cocktail book from the Savoy. I just have to bet that's the recipe least mucked up by time and telephone!

For the gin, Sapphire or similar.

The French 75
yields one serving

2 parts gin
1 part lemon juice
1 spoonful powdered sugar
Champagne

1) Pour the gin, lemon juice and powdered sugar into a glass over ice and top with champagne.

No comments: