Saturday, January 1, 2011

The French 75: Hangover

As I mentioned before, there's more than one recipe for, well, everything, but more specific to this post, The French 75. Last week's recipe from the Savoy is great in part because the ingredient list is so simple. However, since I don't have the same sort of fussily specific loyalty to this cocktail as I do to, say, the martini, I enjoy multiple iterations. I happen to have all the ingredients required below in stock pretty much all the time, but I know that isn't an entirely reasonable expectation for everyone. Still, none of the items listed are cocktail uni-taskers, so they're worth picking up - maybe I'll make a point of that by posting more drink recipes!!

The French 75 Fancified
(yields two servings)

2 oz gin
2 oz orange liqueur (like Triple Sec, or Cointreau)
1/2 a lime, juiced
a dash of orange bitters
2 sugar cubes
Champagne

1) Pour gin, orange liqueur, lime juice and bitters into a shaker full of ice. Shake.

2) Put a sugar cube in a glass (martini or champagne flute recommended) and divide the contents of shaker between each glass.

3) Top with Champagne.

No comments: